Old April 17th 04, 07:35 PM
Teacherjh

In order to answer your (rhetorical) question, we need a bit more
information - things like how many miles does the average trucker put on the
highways each year,
and how many miles do you put on your car? how much of the money spent on
highway
maintanance due to damage from trucks, and how much is from damage by cars? You
know,
answers to those trivial little questions that neither side of the issue likes
to talk
about because of the risk that people might understand the issue.

Exactly.

I'm not going to supply the information, because for one, I don't have the
studies in hand, and for two, that's not the point of my post. Rather, your
point is my point.

One trucker hopping a curb ensures the curb needs repair or replacement. It
would take lot of cars to do the same damage. I don't have studies to prove
this, but I think it's self-evident, and I've seen it happen.

A trucker that's not on the road (probably at highway speed) for a good portion
of the workweek is not going to make much money, and won't last long. I don't
know of any passenger cars that are on the road that much.

Trucks weigh more than cars. 18-wheelers weigh LOTS more than cars. I don't
have data to prove this either, but it's self evident to me. (yes, I know that
empty they weigh less than full).

My point is that the bumper sticker is supposed to bypass all those little
questions with the "oh my god, $18,000 - that's so unfair" reaction. The same
is true of the little airplanes in the system question.

Ultimately the question comes down to what is "fair" to user B, in a system
that has tto be constructed anyway for user A. That question is not amenable
to facts and figures, but is philosophical in nature, though once that question
is addressed, the facts and figures will figure into the final bill. It's
similar in nature to the "is flying safer" question.. safer per mile? per
minute? per passenger? per dollar spant? per area endangered? per diem?
persnickety?

Jose