Old September 20th 06, 04:58 AM
Vic7 Vic7 is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB
What is the SSA's role in in setting up an annual convention, other than
approving the host and location?

Does it in anyway fund any part of it in a meanful way. If so...kiss that
goodbye.

February Memphis convention.
Speaking as member of the host club but **not** as any official spokesperson, I can relate the following. I reiterate, these are my personal opinions and do not represent the Society or the host club:

At our last monthly club Board meeting I specifically asked our President if our club was in any way directly or contingently liable for the costs of the convention. The answer from both our President and Treasurer was, without qualification, no. So, to your question, "Does it in anyway fund any part of it in a meanful [sic] way[?]", the answer is: yes, entirely.

The follow up to that answer at our Board meeting was that we had heard nothing at all from the SSA that the plans for the convention had changed or were contemplated to change. The convention is a money making venture for the Society, not a cost. I see no reason that cancelling the convention would benefit the Society, and many reasons - political as well as financial - that cancelling it would hurt all of us.

I encourage all of you to join us in Memphis next year for the usual convention festivities as well as to ask for and to hear first-hand explanations of the changes made and to be made in response to the failure of internal controls (pardon the accounting jargon, but I am a non-profit CFO) of our national organization. I know that I have some pointed questions for our volunteer Board members. I encourage you to bring yours. Not only is it in your own best interests to have your say and to hear answers first hand, but your attendance will directly benefit the Society.

We're still planning to have a big time here at the convention and hope that many of you will drive out from under the Memphis class B airspace to visit our beautiful, new private gliderport in eastern Arkansas (4AR5) and fly with us.

V7
http://www.memphis-soaring.org/

Last edited by Vic7 : September 20th 06 at 05:07 AM.