Old January 25th 08, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Default Portable Aircraft HF Radio Build (Going to Be Long) MultiplePosts....

When the TSA gobs see this at the airline terminal, you are going to
be sooo strip searched...

It seems like you have a good grasp on the basics, but let me mumble
on a bit here anyway... Don't depend on the negative battery lead as
your RF return... Have a short (relatively speaking) lead from your
grounding plate with a clamp on the end, to clamp to bare metal on the
airframe - a small gauge automobile jumper cable with the clamp, will
work nicely...

How are you going to lead the antenna wire out of the cabin?
It will be RF hot from the connector on the tuner, outwards... I
assume it will be a drag wire off a reel or some such...
Or will there be an ADF wire from fuselage to fin?

In my nefarious past I have been in industrial electronics and I have
been an active ham for nearly 50 years, so always glad to obsfucate
anything you might want to discuss...
You can drop me an email at

cheers ... denny - k8do