Old October 19th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Default OLC 2011

On 10/19/2010 5:39 AM, Mike the Strike wrote:

Doug Haluza
SSA-OLC Admin

Been asleep for the last week, Doug?

There are two threads on this already.

Mike

Just a gentle ribbing - but there were a few questions about the
impact on USA soaring, particularly the new 48 hour rule and the
restriction on aerotows longer than 15km, which will impact a number
of mainly western sites.

Perhaps you could review these and forward our concerns to the OLC
organizers?

Mike

I really don't understand the reason for the 48 hour rule. Most pilots
post immediately, because if they delay for a day none of their friends
will see their flight (since few of us look at posts from a day or two
earlier). Therefore, prompt posting will naturally occur without any
OLC rule on the matter. The OLC has to cut off postings at some point,
I suppose, but why not a week?

I also don't understand the reason for the 15km rule, but suspect that
it may be a poor attempt to solve a real problem. I do know that where
I fly there is never any lift within 15km of the airport. We have to
tow to the hills/mountains, which is about 20km. If the airport was
instead located at the base of the hills/mountains, the 15km rule would
be no problem. So my inability to compete in the OLC is a function of
the decision made decades ago about where to locate the airport. I
don't understand why airport location is relevant to the OLC.