Old July 10th 03, 02:01 PM
Dennis O'Connor

An unfortunate moment from that time was Lindberg's trip to Germany and then
his telling Roosevelt that we had better stay out of it... He was
technically accurate in his estimation that we would get our butts kicked by
the Luftwaffe in a straight on confrontation, plane versus plane.. Whereas,
he should have told Roosevelt that we needed to get off our duff and build
better warplanes 'now'... Unfortunately, he was a great pilot, not a great
military strategist... It took getting our noses rubbed in it at Pearl
Harbor to truly energize those in power to build up our military machine...
Roosevelt held it against Lindberg for steering him wrong, and probably with
good reason ...

Denny

"a.d.danilecki" wrote in message
om...
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Rick Durden wrote:

When the Germans invaded Poland in 1939 the Polish
Air Force fought courageously with outdated airplanes, all of which
could easily out-turn the Bf-109.