Old August 8th 10, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
David E. Powell

Default The DOWA 81 - Escape from East Germany

On Aug 6, 10:35*pm, Rob Arndt wrote:
On Aug 6, 3:25*pm, Scott wrote:

David E. Powell wrote:
As per Rob A.

In 1981, East Germany was still dominated under the Iron Heel of the
Communist Bloc. The feared Stasi police kept watch on all citizens.
Walls and fences kept people trapped inside, the most infamous portion
being the Berlin Wall, where many people who attempted to cross were
arrested, wounded, or killed.

One citizen of East Germany made a home built aircraft to escape,
along with his family. Much like the famous balloon escape that became
a movie, this family took to the skies to fly to freedom.

This is a link to a picture of that airplane.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._East_German_e....

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/
FileOWA_81_selfmade_East_German_escape_plane.jpg

Wow, is that thing UGLY! *

But, I suppose since it was built for a purpose OTHER than beauty....- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, trying to get 5 people out of the GDR with two motorcycle
engines as powerplants!!! They did not escape, but the GDR AF flew it
and it worked. That is why it is intact and not destroyed outright...

Also, DOWA 81 is the GDR designation. the family designation was Pfeil
5 (Arrow 5).

Rob

As I was reading the story, I thought "Wow this would make a great
movie!"

Then I saw the ending, and it still might make one. The ending would
be a left field one for sure but all the more powerful.

It really is an expression of human ingenuity in the face of an evil
system.