Old July 17th 03, 09:31 PM
Richard Brooks

"Ken Duffey" wrote in message
Richard Brooks wrote:

"Jerry" wrote in message

Actually it makes sense to me. The roads around Fairford are

basically a
bleedin' rabbit warren, anything that eases things up is okay with

me.
It's the show organisers my ire is reserved for, they manage to make

clusterf**k of the parking arrangements year on year. Actually it's

all
academic to me, I rarely bother with the show any more, there doesn't
tend to be enough variety in participants to make it worth the

headache
of attending, unlike the late 80's and early 90's . . . but I did

make
the trip last year, and the parking was still a mess.

[snipped]

But I will as always be going to the RIAT again this year although I
know sever people who are staying away because of the increased costs
again £27.95 in advance or £33 on the day, tis a bit steep me thinks.

Jerry

There is at least one country estate on the north western side that

hires
out its front lawn for people to park the night before and there's

nothing
like crashing out in a car after strolling to the local pub for a pint

of
wallop.

Go the night before, leave the car and walk a few miles.

Richard.

For the past five years I have given up driving to Fairford on the public

days.

A much better plan is to drive to Swindon, park the car and travel by the
shuttle bus service provided by the local Thamedown council.

The bus has its own route through the surrounding villages - where
(non-resident) private cars are not allowed - and thereby avoids all the
traffic jams.

It's quite a good feeling sitting on the top of a double-decker bus

looking
down smugly on all the punters sat in their cars in a jam as you turn off

on
your own 'private' route to Fairford.

This is why parking on the roads around Fairford is banned for the

duration of
the tattoo - imagine if we were all allowed to park where we liked - the

result
would be absolute chaos. Not to mention blocking the roads for any

emergency
vehicles that need to gain entry/exit from Fairford.

I totally agree and I cannot understand those who think that they have a
right to do this! I was there the year that the base put a call out to the
local police due to the fact that an aerobatic team was stuck in traffic.

Another ploy that worked was being really nice to a local and slipping them
twenty quid to allow for the car to be stuck on their drive for the day.
Support your countryside!

With that posh family on the north-west side of the base when asking where
the toilets were and assuming an Elsan or some cubicle outside but the sweet
and horse-bound young filly gave directions to where their own toilets were
in this very grand house. She even came out with a tray of drinks for us!

I think I have the phone number but I must check it but a list is kept with
the local town hall of people with facilities. The only problem is when on
a phone hunt is that you end up with a short list of numbers written at all
angles on the page.

If anyone is interested I can contact them and find out if they are still
allowing parking with facilities.

Richard.