Old July 4th 12, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Wide-ranging Safety Discussion...?

On Sunday, July 1, 2012 10:52:37 PM UTC-4, Mike Schumann wrote:

Why is Soaring Magazine not the right venue for a detailed discussion of accidents?

The majority of the fatalities discussed in Soaring are the fictional characters found in Dr. Dan's Soaring RX column; and the magazine gets grief over that (see this month's letters to the editor). Now imagine what would happen if real accidents were openly discussed.

The obituary section in the magazine (Final Glide) does not even mention if the death happened in a glider... not even an asterisk next to the name.

I wonder if this editorial policy is itself a historical accident, or if the policy evolved over the years. Were accidents ever reported in the magazine? I'd guess that they were and that it caused some discord (this is pure speculation).