Old January 16th 05, 06:09 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:17:14 -0800, RR wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:20:36 -0500, "Peter Dohm"
wrote:

:If my memory serves, the C-337 does require a
:multi rating. However, it can be a multi rating
:with a Centerline Thrust limitation; and that would
:be the case if the rating was obtained in a C-337.

And there's something tickling at my memory that says you don't need a
ME rating to fly an experimental multi engine airplane. I'm probably
wrong about this, but I think there was a thread in RAH about it a
couple of years ago.

Actually, there was a subtle regulation change introduced at the same time as
the Sport Pilot stuff. Formerly, you didn't need a multi rating (or floatplane
rating, rotorcraft rating, etc.) to fly an experimental aircraft. With the
regulation change, you are required to have the appropriate rating if you carry
passengers.

As far as how the FAA would view the two-engines-and-one-prop engine, Soloy
developed a "Dual Pac" powerplant for the Cessna Caravan. It's two PT-6s
driving a single propeller. One of the main purposes was to allow the Cessna to
be used in the kinds of passenger-carrying operations that cannot be performed
with a single-engine aircraft. The Soloy literature refers to it as a
twin-engine aircraft, and I suspect the FAA does as well:

http://www.soloy.com/Resources/misctext/pathbook.pdf

It would certainly need a definitive FAA ruling. I suspect the ruling would
depend on what pilot actions are required in the event one of the two engines
failed. The Skymaster has had problems with pilots *recognizing* that an engine
has quit... trying take off when the rear engine has quit on the taxi out, etc.
The FAA might institute a new multi-engine rating just to ensure pilots received
specific system training.

Ron Wanttaja