Old June 24th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default How Beat The High Cost Of Fuel: The ElectraFlyer-C

In rec.aviation.piloting Andrew Sarangan wrote:
On Jun 23, 11:05 pm, wrote:

And when fustion reactors are invented they will replace coal and
fission plants.

You mean fusion? Take a look at ITER: International Thermonuclear
Experimental Reactor. It is far from reality, but it is not science
fiction either.

Yeah, it is called a typo.

I'm aware of ITER and the fact that *IF* ITER is a success, you can
expect an operational fusion power plant no earlier than 2040, by
which time a good percentage of current posters, including myself,
will be long dead.

You can think what you want, but investment in batteries and fuel
cells have seen a huge growth in the last few years. If batteries have
been intensely developed for over a century and is very mature, all
these investors and their expectations must be pretty foolish.

The point is that contrary to what some think, the science of electro
chemistry is mature and all the easy stuff has already been done.

Current, cutting edge, laboratory batteries are still an order of
magnitude short of being a practical general replacement for liquid
fueled engines.

A startling new invention may appear next week that changes all that,
but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

In the mean time, you get increamental advances in the technology.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.