Old December 4th 04, 07:16 PM
Steve Foley

OK, So what you're saying is that you can't tell by looking at someone if
they have money, but you are offended that I ask they talk to a banker
before I start chauffeuring them around looking at houses?

How do you tell if someone is pulling your leg when they want to buy one of
your homes? You just trust that they will show up at closing with a pile of
money?

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...
You can usually tell one way or the other if someone has money. I once
worked in a fancy retail store and saw this guy walk in wearing ripped

jeans
and a dirty T-shirt. No one else paid any attention to the guy because

he
looked like a bum. As I walked past him I glanced at his wrist and saw a
Swiss watch probably worth more than the BMW that the guy in a suit next

him drove. Needless to say the "bum" nobody wanted to deal with left

with
$1000 of cigars. Shoes are another big giveaway. The average observer

sees
three guys in suits. The skilled one sees one guy wearing Bally loafers

and
two guys in department-store shoes.

A former boss of mine drove a five year old Buick, wore Sears clothes, a
Seiko $150 watch (a gift from his daughter) and when writing during a
meeting once I tesed him because he used a "Brakes Plus" BIC pen. His wife
had a simple, inexpensive wedding ring. He often wore jeans and cowboy
boots.

He was worth some $15million. And, no, he wasn't miserly at all.

In real big-ticket items like cars or real estate, it's not unusual that

you
really don't even see the smart and or wealthy buyer face-to-face until

the
deal is closed. If they're buying a car they do it by faxing or calling

the
sales manager directly, and if they're buying property, they often do so
through a buyer's agent. The biggest money is often the quietest.

Usually.