Old December 13th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default Question about wings on Continental Airlines plane?

wrote:

I hadn't flown in 7 yrs until last week when i went on a vacation. My
question is that the plane i flew in had the tips of its wings bent or
inverted upward. I had never seen this before. Someone told me that
this was done to save fuel, but is that it?

The winglets you saw create the effect of greater wingspan. This increases
the apparent aspect ratio of the wing which makes it more efficient.

So, yes; it's done to save fuel.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM