Old April 15th 04, 07:38 AM
Ian Johnston

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 04:03:04 UTC, (Leon
McAtee) wrote:

: While I think there are other causes for the decline of recreational
: aviation in general, you have identified the real problem - Money. Or
: more precisely the cost of having fun.

I think there is another fundamental problem he learning to glide
(in the UK, anyway) just isn't much fun. Typically it involves
standing round an airfield all day, hoping that an instructor whom
you've never met before will deign to give you a couple of circuits
and filling in the rest of your time acting as ground crew for the
private owners who seem incapable of driving tractors or hooking up
cables.

Worst of all, that's how many of the old farts / committee members /
instructors want it to be, because that's how it was in their day.
Well, maybe it was, but suffering doesn't broaden the soul
particularly and there are many, many other hobbies which don't
involve a year or two of being bored and patronized in the learning.

Gliding clubs in the UK have absolutely no problem in attracting new
people into the sport. They are absolutely lousy at retaining them.

Ian