Old August 11th 03, 04:53 PM
Chris Manteuffel

Fred J. McCall wrote in message . ..
Iain Rae wrote:

snip

:The only info I have is for all RAF harrier types (GR7 and T10) from
:1988 to 2001 which lists the damage rate per 10,000 hours at 1.17.

snip

If you want to go by European loss rate per 10,000 hours, for
'fighters' (various aircraft types, of course) the data for 2000 looks
like:

snip

Britain - 0.15

snip

How much difference is there between loss rate and the major damage
rate? I ask because it seems frightening to me that the damage rate
for the Harrier is 8 times the loss rate of all British fighter types
in European airspace. Even if the difference is a factor of 2 then the
Harrier in RAF service is four times more dangerous then all fighter
types in RAF service in Europe.

If Europe is defined for the purposes of Fred's numbers to include
British airspace (which sounds likely from what he says about British
numbers being an order of magnitude greater then American numbers)
then the .15 loss rate for RAF fighter types seems to be a good solid
number that fairly represents the average RAF fighter type loss rate.

Then the question becomes how much improvement in loss rates has there
been since 1988? Has the Harriers loss numbers improved dramatically
since then? If the numbers are still roughly the same (they seem to be
from a curosary glance at the USMC numbers but I can't seem to find
good RAF loss rates numbers, because I don't know where to look) then
is something else wrong?

Chris Manteuffel