Old December 29th 03, 01:30 PM
Smartace11

So lets say we moved to a wartime footing, where the order was "Get
it done, and in our hands ASAP" with most other considerations
secondary-- would we see a dramatic improvemetn, or just a fwe months
shaved off here and there.
Note, I know that this won' t happen--this is more in the sense of
what *could* be done.

All depends upon the complexity of the system and the requirements that are
laid down. Nowdays the thinking is that each new system must make a quantum
leap in technology and last forever so there is a tendancy to cram every bit of
known and unknown technology into the design. Sometimes designs have to wait
on breakthroughs and new inventions, i.e. the early days of the B-2.

If the design is evolutionary not revolutionary, the funding stream is steady,
the politicians don't try to run the program, and the hardware is off the
shelf maybe 4-5 years is reasonable in peacetime.

I am not sure how much time could be cut from the production phase but the
development phase, could be shortened considerably. Lining up the production
facility, building the jigs, tooling, and test sets is already pretty
efficient. Cutting the test cycles could save time, though would have to be
approached prudently.