Old June 25th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering[_2_]

Default Cherokee 140b wing removal.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 08:46:07 -0700 (PDT), Bruce
wrote:

Hello All,
I have a 1969 Cherokee 140b that is going thru the annual inspection
with a
new A&P this year. The airplane suffered damage the left wing when it
hit a
deer on takeoff in 1972. It was repaired and has flown ever since. The
problem
is the new A&P insists that the wings must be removed and inspected by
him or he
won't sign off on the inspection. He plans on charging me at least
$1500 per
wing. He says it will take about 32 hours per wing for labor. I think
he is
just running up the bill. Is this necessary at all? Should take that
long to
inspect? I'd appreciate any wisdom you guys might share. Thanks

1. A&Ps don't do annuals. IAs do.

2. Who signed off the repair on the damage? Did the signer have A&P
after their name?

3. Is there any indication in the repair documentation that
repetitive inspections should be required.

4. Is there any indication of the repair not working, like buckled
skin, cracks in the skin, puffed up paint around rivet heads?

5. Is there a reason that BOTH wings need to come off? Was there any
damage to the starboard wing?

If the IA can't give you a reason why (s)he wants to remove the wings
if the above 5 check out OK, I'd start looking for another IA.
Googling the FAA database sorted by zip code ought to be a good place
to start.

Jim
A&P, IA, CFI (A&G)