Old August 20th 04, 09:21 PM
Dave Katz

(LowApproach_SoCal) writes:

I am just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience there,
or if I am being hypersensitive. I don't really want to call the FSDO
if I am out of line, but it happens often enough to me and other
people who fly out of my FBO that it is getting old.

You might try an informal chat with the tower chief first; dragging
the FSDO into it seems a bit harsh to start out. Encourage other
folks with the same experience to call as well. It *is* a service
business after all; heck, even the FAA claims to believe that now.

We had one bad apple at KSAF for awhile a few years back; he got
annoyed with me one day because I was shooting landings (I guess; I
was the only plane in the pattern and there were perhaps two other ops
in the 45 minutes I was up.) He ignored repeated requests for the
option; I knew enough not to touch wheels to pavement and went around
and asked for a radio check. His response was "if you want my help,
you have to ask sooner." He was trying to get me to bust myself by
landing without a clearance. Happily, he only lasted a few months,
with multiple complaints from various folks to the tower chief.