Old May 29th 21, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

Default Tow plane ideas

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 2:37:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My glider club is looking into the possibility of a new or upgraded tow plane. We currently have a 160hp supercub, but we have also looked into a rare-as-hens-teeth piper pawnee. As i poke around barnstormers and trade a plane, i have seen ads for a 190hp vans RV-6, a maule 235, a stinson 200+ hp, motorgliders, cessna 188, etc.

Anyone out there have some ideas for a tow plane that might be very functional but also (perhaps) not well known? Ive seen stories on stinson's maule's and wilga's being used in the past, for example, but it would be good to hear of some currently used "unusual" towplanes.

thanks for any feedback!

I don't know your special needs but many of the suggested options are not much better that the Cub. We have used our 160 hp Cub for over 40 years with good results. It is hard to find an easier tug to keep operating. One real improvement was adding the seaplane(Borer) prop. It really improves initial acceleration and lets the engine turn higher rpm which adds usable horsepower. It also comes down faster. When you are ready for a second tug, wait until you can find a Pawnee.
Good luck
UH