Old March 22nd 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Richard Turner

Default In flight recorder

Back when I was working as a flight test instrumentation engineer at the
USAF Test Pilot School, we were trying to figure out an easy way to
record audio. The easiest way we found, short of doing a modification
to the airplanes and including expensive flight-qualified recorders, was
to take a little audio-activated voice recorder and ran a small
microphone inside the ear cup of one of our headsets. We'd put the
small recorder in our pockets. It worked really well at catching
everything that was said through the intercom.

It's not a "fireproof" solution, but hopefully this might get you
thinking in other areas.

Rich
N734BV @ 75FL

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 09:58 -0700, Lou wrote:

Has anyone ever made their own in-flight recorder? I'm curious how
this would be done. I don't think it would be that difficult if you
use a regular cassette in one of those small fire safes. Just
drill a small hole to accomadate the mic wire. But how would you hook
it up to the intercom?
Or would you have a small lapel mic attatched to your headset? Anyway,
has anyone tried this?
Lou