Old July 8th 03, 03:03 PM
Bob Martin

There's a crazy old guy here at FFC who still flies one...

wrote in message
I flew helos in the Marines, and in the '60s put together a Benson kit.
It logged about 220 hours with zero problems, including a highly idiotic
trip from the CA coast to Catalina. In 1972, however, my wife-to-be
insisted it go before the wedding bells.

Are any of these still around?

Henry

It's much more than fireworks, barbecues, and beaches. It's a
celebration of the birth of the greatest nation on earth, and like
Independence Days around the world, ours was achieved by those willing
to fight for the ideals in which they had faith. Consider the
poet-lawyer Francis Scott Key in 1813 Baltimore, watching the British
fleet shelling the last barrier to invasion, Fort McHenry. He wrote:

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Study those words carefully.
Do you understand? This holiday was brought to you by your military.