Old August 24th 04, 12:12 AM
Scott Ferrin

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:35:56 -0400, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 03:41:05 -0400, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message
.. .

I was tempted to just copy/paste it but. . . Anyway. According to
the article the data on THAAD in it's current incarnation indicates
that it may have some terminal-phase ABM capability. I'd wondered if
it was a typo and they'd inadvertantly typed "ICBM" instead of "IRBM"
but it was repeated several times throughout the article and that it
would be tested against ICBM-type targets later in the test program.
Also, the missile's configuration is apparently quite different now
though whether that's just under the skin they didn't say.

From what I have read, THAAD has always been forseen to have an anti-ICBM
capability, but its engagement footprint in that role is supposed to be
pretty small,

When it was first designed it was right at the limit of what was
allowed under the ABM treaty. As for the footprint, terminal defenses
have never really had all that long of range anyway. Sprint was about
25 miles (although it could cover those miles a hell of a lot faster
than THAAD :-) ) and HIBEX was less than that. HEDI would have been
in the ballpark of Sprint most likely.

Yes, but Sprint was merely the lower tier of a two-tier system; Spartan had
a significantly longer reach.

Well yeah. And NMD has a longer reach than THAAD *and* Spartan.

Trying to defend a large urban area (like you
find on the Left Coast) against ICBM attack with THAAD would require
sprinkling launch sites around like the old Nike Ajax did...and that ain't
gonna happen.

Well not quite. Those were dedicated missile bases, each with a dozen
or two launchers for LARGE missiles with quite a bit shorter range.
Quite different than say, three or four radars total and a launcher or
two per location operating out of military bases up and down the
coast. They said that with the different booster THAAD could cover an
entire coast with one battery. Last I heard a THAAD battery was
suppose to be something like ONE radar and 32 missiles or so.