Old January 1st 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy N5804F

Default GNS 430W vs GNS 480

I have to agree with Sam.
You really should include the 530 in your analysis to determine which unit
to install.
I understand that cost is a major factor but you might just find that the
additional features, screen size & resolution put the 530 ahead of the 430
or 480.
[The 480 has the smallest screen area of all 3 units]
I went through the same dilemma 6 months ago, the 530 came out on top for my
mission [without WAAS at that time]
I took a deep breath, called the bank and don't regret a single dollar of
the additional cost [Or the cost to now upgrade it to WAAS]
Although you are not currently interested in interfacing the purchase with
some of the other equipment available, this is also an area that should be
evaluated closely so you are aware of the limitations of all units.
I also said I was not interested in interfacing beyond roll steering, that
opinion is changing daily as I consider now what other equipment I might now
add to the panel. Never be sure that your finished !!

I am also a firm believer that Garmin will not invest further in developing
the 480 beyond its current ability.

Roy

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
Mike Adams wrote:

Sam Spade wrote:

Go with the 430W.

I was advocating the 430W in the context of the original poster.

Actually, the 530W is a whole lot better, just like the 530/500 is a whole
lot better than the 430/400.

That is why those who have the bucks stack a 530 over a 430.

As to no airway database, I find that a minor issue in a slow light
aircraft. You don't have to build the entire airway on the fly.