Old January 17th 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

Default GPS Longevity

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
Do you usually retire them because someone has marketed a better

mousetrap,
because the unit is unsupported, or because the unit no longer works

properly?

I vote for no longer works properly.

I bought a Garmin Pilot III back around 2001 from someone who had upgraded
to a 295. The screen started losing lines and now is unreadable (It's even
worse since I opened it and tried to fix it).

I'll probably look around for a lightly used 295. There's a manufacturing
defect in the Pilot III's that made all of the screens shrink. They were
perfectly usable ten years ago, now they're all too small