Old January 17th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Allen[_1_]

Default GPS Longevity

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
Do you usually retire them because someone has marketed a better

mousetrap,
because the unit is unsupported, or because the unit no longer works

properly?

I vote for no longer works properly.

I bought a Garmin Pilot III back around 2001 from someone who had upgraded
to a 295. The screen started losing lines and now is unreadable (It's even
worse since I opened it and tried to fix it).

I'll probably look around for a lightly used 295. There's a manufacturing
defect in the Pilot III's that made all of the screens shrink. They were
perfectly usable ten years ago, now they're all too small

If I were you I would look for a 296. The 295 does not have a built-in
ability to charge the batteries. If you lose the ship's electrical power
you have only the remaining battery life. The 296 will charge the batteries
while in use; if you lose the ship's power you should still have fully
charged batteries.

I have a 295 and that is the only drawback between the two. I use ni-cads
and have to remember to charge them between use.

--

*H. Allen Smith*
WACO - We are all here, because we are not all there.