Old January 30th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW-19 Moment Arms

Odd that they wouldn't respond.

I have owned 2 ASW20's and have a ASW27. Our club has 2 ASK21's---All have
the datapoints you request, but they are in the Maintenance manual.

Since the pilot reclines, and people are built differently, the pilot moment
is a variable that can only be a rough approximation unless it is measured.
Once known for a specific pilot, that pilot can move fore and aft and the
change can be calculated.

--
Hartley Falbaum

ASW27B"KF" USA

"jcarlyle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to be able to calculate the actual CG position for my
ASW-19B, in addition to using Schleicher's cockpit load CG check. I
found some data in the AS Airworthiness Test Report and more in the FAA
Type Certificate Data Sheet, but 3 items are still unknown. Schleicher
does not give any moment arm data in the Flight Manual, nor did they
respond when I wrote to them.

These is the moment arm data as I know it:

1. Main wheel to tail wheel = +4115 mm (162 inches; a/w test)
2. Datum point to main wheel = +139 mm (5.5 inches; a/w test)
3. Datum point to lead ballast bolt = ?
4. Datum point to instrument panel face = ?
5. Datum point to pilot's seat = -559 mm (-22 inches; type cert)
6. Datum point to baggage area = +152 mm (+6 inches; type cert)
7. Datum point to water bag CG = ?

Can any RAS reader help me with the 3 unknown data points? Thanks in
advance!

-John

P.S. - I know I can measure the 3 moment arms (or I could calculate
them using a loading and weighting procedure). I'm just hoping someone
can save me some work...