Old May 15th 20, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On Fri, 15 May 2020 11:57:35 -0700, Rakel wrote:

Since we have now decided to re-invent the tow plane to put the tow hook
on the CG, has anybody considered a canard design with a front or mid
fuselage mounted engine?

Difficult: I've flown a Canard free flight model. Its CG was in front of
the wing and about 1/3 of the way along the wing:stabiliser gap in front
of the wing. The motor was on a short pylon above the CG.

Part of the design would be clear: put the pilot on the CG, fins and
rudders near the tips and anchor the towline no further back than the
wing LE, but where do you put the engine while keeping the propeller away
from the towline without making the poor thing far too nose-heavy?

Move the pilot back to the wing LE, put the engine immediately in front
of him and use a long, light carbon drive shaft to a prop at the front?

Maybe a bigger, more powerful Quickie with twin fins would be better?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quickie_Aircraft

Or a Transavia Air Truck?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transavia_PL-12_Airtruk

OTOH, just get Bert Rutan out of retirement and point him at the problem.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org