Old February 8th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Default bad vectors, no hand off

On 2/7/2007 8:07:26 PM, "Lurker" wrote:

And why did I get bawled out for the approach controllers forgetful
hand-off?

I cannot comment on the rest of your plight other than to suggest you call
the facility, explain what happened and ask if the service you received was
acceptable from their perspective.

However, regarding the failed hand-off, I do suggest that better situational
awareness along the approach or perhaps more assertiveness on the PIC's part
would have prevented the terse lecture.

After routinely flying IFR for the last three years, I can recall several
cases of approach failing to hand me off to tower. In all cases, I wait until
about 1/2 mile inside the FAF, then call approach with a "Bonanza XXX inside
{FAF}, switch to tower?" Just about every time this results in a quick
hand-off.

In one case approach failed to reply so I just switched myself and called
tower with "Tower, Bonanza XXX inside {FAF}, never received a hand-off."

--
Peter