Old June 28th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Fear of flying cross country

Finally, try to avoid routes which go over, or very near airfields.
It's OK and reassuring to pass within gliding range from time to time,
but runways suck gliders towards them. Well known fact.

Ian

You obviously haven't flown much in the US southwest. Over much of our
terrain, you can either land at an airfield or crash into cactus or
tree-strewn mountains. Landable strips are an essential part of our
database.

Landing at a decent strip also has the advantage of getting an aero-
retrieve. More expensive, but less inconvenient.

I overcame my trepidation by flying over tiger country with a mentor
and then with a group of cross-country pilots who have a mutual
retrieve policy (steak dinner and lots of beer!)

Mike

Mike