Old February 12th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Plastic/Vinyl letters

The local community college auto shop used those rubber discs to remove
a logo and phone number from my daughter's car door. However, there
was still an after image in the finish under bright sun. Still visible
after three years.

Years later, you can still see where the big decals were on my trailer,
too. It's where the gel coat is still nice and glossy and new looking.
If you've ever removed painted-on contest numbers from an older
gel-coated glider to find a perfect surface below (instead of the
crazing surrounding it), you'll know what I mean. I suspect the decals
protect paint from oxidation, weathering, and fading just as they do
gel coat.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"