Old August 12th 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default cobra wheel bearings and brakes

11, 2012 6:33:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I know this has come up in the past, but i'm having trouble finding the previous posts. I recently bought a Carat in a 2005 Cobra trailer and had it hauled from the west coast to here in Georgia on a flat bed. When i started pulling the trailer, the hubs started getting hot within 12 miles, the right side more than the left. The brake assembly housing got, if anything, hotter than the hub. I assume the grease has dried out of the sealed wheel bearings. I jacked the trailer up and the wheels turn freely without wobble, but make a rubbing sound. Also the brakes squeal when braking. I tried to determine whether the brake drums might be dragging, The cables seem to fully release when the brake lever releases (though i don't know how to check if a brake return spring has failed). What's the best source of wheel bearings (and brake parts if needed)? Any suggestions for further diagnosis? thanks, Key

I would look at (Cobratrailer.com) They list the brake pads and some useful information on adjusting the brakes. Click on (ALKO instructions) a PDF file on brake replacement or (Brake handbook) for Brake adjustment PDF file.