Old April 12th 18, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

Default Opening for May Winch Class at Eagle Field

There is one slot open May 5,6 for someone looking for a combination winch launch sign off and introduction to off field landing course here in central Pa.

The class size has been reduced by one (to three) to allow more flexibility in dodging adverse weather (severe winds, precip, low clouds). The primary date is May 5 with a fall back to May 6 (Sunday).

While most US pilots may never make another winch launch, the stick and rudder skills, demand for concentration, unusual attitude exposure and mental charge will benefit anyone wishing to expand their flying skill.

Also, like it or not, we glider drivers fly with the odd chance of landing in a field not of our choosing. And these fields are usually more challenging and hazardous than the home drome. Patterns and landing at Eagle Field have many of the demands of these "rural visitations" one might encounter, such as rising and falling terrain, sloped (right/left) terrain, approach end trees, and short landing distance.

Ten or so patterns and landings with these demands might pay off in a future outlanding.

Karl Striedieck contact: karls at uplink.net