View Single Post
Old November 10th 20, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default PowerFlarm offers new Version, PowerFlarm Fusion Includes Manynew standard Features!

On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 8:30:24 PM UTC-6, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 5:10:17 PM UTC-8, Mike Schumann wrote:
On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 5:08:34 PM UTC-6, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 11:58:20 AM UTC-8, Mike Schumann wrote:
On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 1:51:26 PM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
ADS-R and TIS-B should be available very soon in all powerflarm units via firmware upgrade. I am flying with a beta version and can now see virtually all traffic, including UAT and mode C (via ground station relay). Stay tuned.

Ramy

That is great news. However, people need to understand that this is not the ideal solution vs. a dual band receiver: 1. You need to be within range of an ADS-B ground station, 2. The other aircraft needs to be at sufficient altitude to be visible to ATC Radar and/or an ADS-B ground station, and 3. Your glider needs to be ADS-B OUT equipped to trigger the ADS-B ground station to send you the ADS-R and TIS-B information.
Your glider does not have to be ADS-B out. All that is needed is for any 1090 out aircraft to be in the ADS range ie in the Puck to trigger the ground station for rebroadcast ADS-R.

Richard

That is not correct. An ADS-B OUT equipped aircraft that is in your vicinity will trigger the ground station to transmit ADS-R and TIS-B, but this will only occur on the frequency of the ADS-B OUT aircraft's IN receiver frequency. If you are near an aircraft configured with both a UAT transmitter and receiver, the ADS-R and TIS-B traffic will only be transmitted on the UAT frequency. The same situation occurs for a 1090ES OUT equipped aircraft that has a UAT receiver.

I believe you need to review this webpage

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipads...ties/ins_outs/

Specifically this section

Automatic Dependent Surveillance ‐ Rebroadcast (ADS-R)

ADS-R is a client-based service that relays ADS-B information transmitted by an aircraft broadcasting on one link to aircraft equipped with ADS-B In on the other link. For example, the information for an aircraft equipped with a 1090MHz ADS-B Out system will be re-broadcasted to an aircraft equipped with ADS-B In on the UAT (i.e. 978MHz) frequency, and vice versa.

Richard

You need to carefully read the section at the bottom of that page labeled "How do I receive ADS-B In Traffic Services and what do I see today?"

The TIS-B and ADS-R functions are specifically designed to conserve bandwidth, which is particularly critical for the 1090ES frequency. The page specifically states: "It is important to note that aircraft with dual link ADS-B-In capability (i.e. 1090MHz and 978MHz) are not provided with ADS-R services. This is because the aircraft is already capable of receiving ADS-B messages from both links directly via air-to-air."

The page further states: "Any "not-on-the-same ADS-B Link" aircraft that falls within the "hockey puck" will be transmitted via ADS-R on the appropriate ADS-B In link to the "client" aircraft. Similarly, any non-ADS-B Out Transponder equipped aircraft within the "client" aircraft's hockey puck will be transmitted via TIS-B on the appropriate ADS-B In link."

Note that the data is only transmitted on the "appropriate ADS-B In link" of the client aircraft, NOT on both frequencies.

Most UAT OUT equipped aircraft either have a UAT only or dual frequency ADS-B receiver. With this configuration, a UAT equipped aircraft will NEVER trigger the ADS-B ground station to transmit ADS-R messages for other UAT OUT equipped aircraft in the hockey puck.

Also worth noting is that the ADS-R messages only include other aircraft in the hockey puck, and not the triggering aircraft. As a result, if you had a UAT OUT equipped aircraft with a 1090ES only receiver (a very unusual configuration), the ADS-R messages triggered by this aircraft on the 1090ES frequency would only show other UAT equipped aircraft in the area. If you had a PowerFLARM system, you potentially could see these other UAT OUT equipped aircraft, but NOT the aircraft triggering the ground station.