Old February 16th 21, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Your Opinion Would Be Appreciated

Bob:
A few additional points to think about:

One of the most desirable options for the ASG-29 pure glider is the fuselage tank (which can be made removable and replaced with the storage shelf). Without that tank a 200 lbs pilot with chute, drinking water & lunch can't get the glider to its 600 kg maximum even with the wing tanks & fin tank chock filled. Even if you want to fly with partial water, the glider handles much better with the weight inboard. I always fill the fuselage tank first and then add water to the wings to get to the wing loading I want.

Buying a glider from an estate has its negatives. There is nobody to show you the rigging tricks, or to explain what that little box on the left side of the fuselage is, find the FR calibration sheet (if any) or tell you when/if the trailer tires were replaced or answer the million other questions an owner would know the answer to. And, the same holds true of having the AI or AP who maintained or repaired the glider do the first annual or pre-purchase inspection. Sometimes fresh eyes are a good thing.

I'd like to know when or if the Mylar has been replaced. Especially if it's been in a trailer without aileron/flap locks ( a bending load on Mylar in a hot trailer for 2 years is not good) . Fresh Mylar matters in the '29 and it's not an easy or cheap job to do yourself.

There is a difference between a gelcoat glider with a carefully documented and demonstrable damage/repair history and one without that. I am aware of 3 instances where people sent gliders to Eastern European refinish facilities who "discovered" improperly done repairs that stopped the re-finish work until corrected. The owners were helpless to argue and just paid 5000 Euros or so more than they planned for the re-repair. So, if there is a plan to refinish the gelcoat at any time in the future, it's important to know exactly what happened in the past.

Additional things I'd like to know: Does it have covers? Is the XPDR mode C or S and when was it last calibrated? Any spare parts? A parachute? Things to budget for: new batteries, XPDR check, CN I upgrade to II (if possible). New radio (search this forum for Dittel FSG2T problems - I've junked 2 of them).

Things I wouldn't care about: clear vs. tinted canopy (you really don't notice it), Cloth vs. leather interior (leather looks great but sticks to your legs if you are wearing shorts), total time ( 400 hours vs 1400 hours on a glider doesn't really matter).

Lastly, I think time of year is important. Gliders sell for more money in the Spring. I would expect as much as a 10% difference in the sale price depending on a sale in mid-winter compared to April, May or June.

ROY (who has #29041 in the US and 1/2 of #29014 in South Africa)