Old January 19th 05, 03:19 AM
Larry Dighera

On 18 Jan 2005 16:31:18 -0800, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote in .com::

... thought I'd use the 296
to give me the AWOS freq at Jackson airport. So I moved my pointer over
to Jackson and hit enter and the 296 shut off! ... and it shut off again!!
So I powered it up again and it seemed to work fine. Just to test the
battery, I unpluged the unit power from the cig lighter and it popped
up the normal 30 second window, "do you want to run on battery". So,
the battery seems fine, and the unit didn't act like it lost power.

Has anyone else seen this?

I have experienced occasional uncommanded power down with the Garmin
195. This seems to be exacerbated by vibration and the length of time
the batteries have been installed in the GPS.

I diagnosed the cause to be poor connection among the 6 batteries.
Cleaning the connections (by rubbing the ends of the batteries against
cotton cloth) often improved power stability, but didn't eliminate the
problem. The installation of a 0.05 Mfd. Tantalum capacitor across
the GPS power terminals has now caused this nuisance to be a non
issue.

It worked for me. YMMV.