Old January 18th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

Default Want to build a REAL engine?

On Jan 17, 5:30*pm, "Stuart Fields" wrote:
"John Kimmel" wrote in message

bildan wrote:
I've been kicking this idea around with some mechanical engineers for
a couple of years.

Motorcycle in-line fours are state of the art high performance engines
unencumbered by smog controls. *They get more than 100HP per liter
with some at 140 HP/liter. *Of course, they rev like a dentist's
drill.

More importantly, the cylinder/head assembly just bolts to the
crankcase. *Now, think of 7 or 9 of these in-line water cooled 4-cyl
blocks arranged radially around a common crankcase.

To make it work, you have to make the case, crank and new master/
articulating connecting rods. *You'd also need a gear case to drive
the cam chains. *Finally, you'd need some serious gear reduction
(~7:1) *planetary gear set in the nose case. *I'd also use an aircraft-
type fuel injection system instead of carbs.

If it worked, in the case of 9 cylinder blocks, you'd have a 36
cylinder, 500 pound, 30" diameter, 1000HP+ liquid cooled radial
reminiscent of a half scale Lycoming XR7755.

Now build a slick little carbon composite airplane around the monster
and take it to Reno. *I'll bet the sound alone would wow the crowds.

Already been done.
http://www.bigbikeriders.com/48cyl.htm

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. *So long.

* * The big bike reminds me of the task of putting windshield wipers on a
duck's ass. *It represents a technical challenge, but the outcome is of
questionable value. *Too much spare time?

OK, the bike's prove you can take motorcycle 4 cyl blocks and create a
monsterously powerful multi-bank engine with them. The Hyabusa V8 is
particularly neat. The 48 clinder seems to be 2- stroke cylinders
which is weird.

For aviation, a big, round, mean, screaming, 1000HP radial would take
the show.