View Single Post
Old July 11th 15, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default SSA's planned response to ANPRM Transponders, etc

All,

Hopefully, by the time you read this you will have already read the SSA E-news bulletin sent out today regarding SSA's intent to respond to the FAA ANPRM regarding transponders. If you do not get E-news, you can find a link to the E-news bulletin on the front page of the SSA website.

In particular, I hope you will note that SSA members are invited to submit their own views (whether for or against TX) both to the FAA as well as to the SSA so that SSA can incorporate your views and arguments into the SSA response.

FYI, as I write this, the special email address given in the E-news article for sending to SSA your thoughts and comments already has received 12 responses. Of those, 5 argue in favor of a requirement to use transponders, the others take the view that -- while admitting use of anti-collision technology is generally a good idea -- transponder use should not be made mandatory and that to do so would have a damaging impact on our sport by driving the low-cost owners and operators out of aviation in exchange for a questionable increase in safety in most geographical areas.

SSA leadership is aware of the arguments on both sides. We plan to take all views into account in formulating a response to the ANPRM.

By the way, I only intend to consider and count opinions sent to the email address shown in the E-news article (which, again, is now posted on the first page of the SSA website). I don't have time or the inclination to actively participate in the debate that I expect will now develop on RAS but I look forward to following it as a passive reader! Stay tuned -- should be an interesting discussion.

Phil Umphres