Old April 14th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Big Iron pilot made young boys day!

Thanx Chris, reminds me of my first ever flight... not that I remember it
but my mother told the story so many times that I'll never forget it.

It was a MAT "Military Air Transport" flight from Dow AFB Maine to Tokyo
Japan, with lots of layovers.. and every time the cockpit door opened I was
"rubbernecking" to see what was inside. Eventually I got a cockpit tour..
and as my Mom says.. I never quit looking at and watching airplanes.. yes I
was an AF Brat growing up.

Now at the age of 50, a 20+ AF flying career completed, and almost 33 years
as a civilian pilot... still flying.. and instructing.. I still love taking
that kid on his first ever ride.. and letting him fly the airplane...or
glider.

Thanx for the memories.

BT

"Chris Ehlbeck" wrote in message
. ..
Just a thanks to ALL pilots that make a young person's dreams come true.

2 years ago I took my 8 year old nephew for his first airplane ride for
his birthday. We even gave him a small logbook to document the occasion
and logged his flight as a passenger. While at the FBO a B-767 Captain
who was getting checked out in one of the club's airplanes told him "If
you fly on an airliner, bring that with you. They might sign it if you
ask. I know I would." Since that day he's flown with me twice and
brought the log book and had me sign it.

Last week he flew across the country on a commercial airliner, with a
layover on the way out and the way home. His Mom told me that he reached
in his backpack and took out the logbook. When the flight attendant asked
if he wanted anything he asked if the pilot would sign his logbook for him
and was told "I'll check." A while later she brought his logbook back.
In it was the aircraft model, route, time (estimated I suppose) and an
airline pilot's signature. He got this accomplished on both legs on the
way out and again on the way home. But when they landed at home he was
asked if he wanted to meet the Captain and see the cockpit! He got a nice
tour of the cockpit and they handed his logbook back to him. His response
was "SWEET!" I haven't seen the logbook yet but will this weekend, he
wants to show it to me.

I just wanted to thank all my fellow pilots who have ever in some way
given a child a special aviation moment or did something that made them
say "SWEET!"