Old February 26th 17, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default Do you crab or forward slip in X wind landings

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 18:30:11 -0800 (PST), Citrus Soaring
wrote:

Side slip is the easiest and most powerful form of crosswind correction. Simply use the rudder to keep the nose of the glider parallel to runway center line and lower the upwind wing enough to counter the wind. To much bank and you drift upwind of centerline. Side slip can be maintained all the way to the end of the roll out just by keeping the upwind wing low. If the cross wind is to strong for this method you shouldn't be flying or you should select a different runway.

Crab Requires a transition to a side slip just above the ground and almost guarantees a side loaded landing either from kicking to late or to soon and not getting into the side slip quick enough.

Forward slips are not really for crosswind correction they are more for glide path control.

I wonder about the different methods that are taught - in Europe the
only acceptable method is crab, aligning with rhe runway heading
during the flare, and immediately touching down. Priority is to keep
the wings level all the time to reduce the chances of a ground loop in
case of an outlanding.

Is it grass strips vs. paved runways which we don't have in Europe?

Just a question (since I fly a glider where side slip would always
drag the wingtip on the ground before the main wheel touch down):

How do you cope with one wingtip lower than the other in case of an
outlanding on a field with higher crops? To me the side slip method is
a recipe for disaster in this case...
Do you teach both methods?

Cheers
Andreas