Old February 17th 04, 04:16 AM
d b

At that point in my experience, I would never have figured it out.
I had never heard of such an occurence. Dumb luck might have
saved the day, assuming I had plenty of time to remember
to do everything, like turn the fuel off. But if I had followed what
is the "proper" off field landing check, I wouldn't have turned
off the fuel early enough to have a positive effect. Since then
there have been multiple times that haven't fit any past learning
or knowledge. It's called the school of hard knocks. Fortunately
they haven't hurt anybody or any thing. Today's young
instructors have a long way to go (at least 20 years) before they
get good. Variety counts for a lot more than hours and ratings.

In article ,
(Teacherjh) wrote:

Unfortunately my only fully dead engine episode needed the
opposite solution. [...] The carb float had sunk and the
engine flooded on power to idle reduction.

One size never fits all.

I didn't have time to figure it out, if I would have been
smart enough in the first place.

What would it have taken to figure it out in flight? (other than time to try
all the other combinations that are not in the first response?

Jose