Old September 18th 03, 09:56 PM
Eric Greenwell

In article A1oab.41596$n94.3841@fed1read04,
says...

Also interestingly enough is that two of them set a couple of state records
this summer by getting airborn before the lift began then cruising around
with engines on until they finally connected with something. Sounds like an
advantage to me anyway. I suppose the rest of us could have just stayed on
tow for an hour or so! ;-)

Yes, you could, and it would be cheaper than owning a motorglider,
believe me. Or you could take a higher tow (say, 5000') if you
discovered the lift hadn't started, then slowly waft down until you
sank to where the lift was. Or you could just launch, fall down, wait
a bit, and relaunch - even cheaper. The point is, the motor is a
_convenience_ before the flight, not an advantage during the task.

For flights (like staight out distance records) when an early start is
critical, the lighter, towed glider can stay up earlier; and when
flying late is critical, the towed glider can drop it's ballast and
waft along longer than the heavier motorglider.

--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)