Old June 19th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John E. Carty

Default Flight simulator

"Mike Ash" wrote in message
In article ,
"John E. Carty" wrote:

"Mike Ash" wrote in message
In article
,
Dudley Henriques wrote:

On Jun 18, 5:53 pm, Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,

"Morgans" wrote:
I wish the word would get out so we could get back to the quality
and
quantity of discussions we used to have. I wonder if it will ever
recover...

With ISPs dropping newsgroups and the web forums, I kind of doubt
there will be much recovery.

RCN (my ISP) dropped Usenet some time ago. I liked the venue and hated
to leave it altogether. I know most people hate Google Groups, but I
signed on and have been using this reader now for some time. It's not
too bad really. It's up more than it's down and I'm not a kill file
freak (simply ignore those worth ignoring :-) so the filter issues
that seem to bug everyone else don't seem to be bothering me. I also
don't need a bianary capability; just text so Google is fine for me.
I in fact would recommend Google Groups for Usenet if people have an
ISP problem with access. It's a free reader and for some that's a big
plus.
I'm on a Mac so it's a double good hit for me as good news readers
for Macs are not as plentiful as they are for PC's.
Just throwing this out for general consumption.

I'm using eternal-september.org (previously motzarella.org) for my news
service. They provide a real news server that's 100% free and pretty
good. You sound like you're happy, but for others who don't like Google
Groups, that's a good alternative.

I only see 13 available groups when I try this server :-(

I think that's what happens when you log in anonymously. You have to
sign up (for free, but you still need an account) to get access to the
full list of groups. Go to http://eternal-september.org/ and click User
Registration to get an account, then set up your newsreader to
authenticate with the account information and you should be set.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Now I've got them all, Thanks :-)