Old March 21st 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris

Default Power FLARM question

Hello Kimmo,

Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:
We are developing a simple and low cost device (we named it
SoarTronic to add Bluetooth communication of FLARM traffic
information into European version of FLARM units. It also allows
task declaration and log file download. It is connected into RJ45
connector, and it draws operating voltage (40mA) from 3.3 V that
FLARM provides for external displays.

This is a nonprofit project we started to get FLARM traffic
information available in our club gliders. Since club members have
many types of flight computers, Bluetooth was chosen as
communication method. Price for this device is 30 EUR + delivery
from Finland.

Just curious, are you using a module like this:
http://www.brunwinkel.de/elektronik/ics/btm400_6b/

I just build a device at my own design that meets your description. As I am
working nonprofit too, there is no competition. If interested, we can share
information. I have a dealer in Hong Kong who sells the modules for ~8,- ?
with free shipping. With a MAX3232 for the RS232, printed circuit board and
casing, I think your price is realistic.

Nice featu as the module is programmable, I set it up with the
registration of the glider as Bluetooth name.

Regards
Chris