Old December 26th 15, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

Default Touring the USA with glider

At 13:24 26 December 2015, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 7:45:06 AM UTC-5,

Jim White wrote:
On a whim I said to my long suffering wife that I would

like to tour the
USA with my glider, see the sights and enjoy the

soaring. Surprisingly
she
said that she would come with me!

I have a time budget of 2-3 years but modest financial

resources. So
gents...where and what time of year? If I could

construct a tour that
starts in up state NY went South down the Appalachians

then W to the
Sierras then N up the Rockies and back to the East coast

that would seem
sensible. I guess I could ship to anywhere on the East

Coast and go from
there.

Advice on itinerary, welcoming clubs (with aero tow),

great soaring, good

things to see, places to stay etc. by email would be

great.

Thanks in advance
Jim

BTW I am very happy to help run HDT task days / weeks

/ competitions
along
the way if you would like.

You should probably start in Franconia, NH, from there fly

to Sugerbush, VT
then down to Springfield VT and then turn west to upstate

NY.

Ship your glider via RORO to a port near Providance, RI

(about Euro 2k +
insurance). That is where we ship our gliders from factories

in EU for East
Coast destinations. I shipped two gliders from Europe

without any issues
and the third one is on the way.

I am sure you will find many helping hands as people here

are very nice,
contrary to what you might expect by reading RAS .

Enjoy great soaring
and great country.

Andrzej

Just recounted this thread to my wife: her response: "Jolly
good, off you go!"