Old August 2nd 20, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Stowable dolly for taxing by DG Flugzeugbau

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 2:09:33 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi,
Anyone has experience with this product?
I am thinking about using ot with DG600

https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/lib...ly-for-taxiing

The wingtip wheels are poker-chip sized plastic wheels that have trouble even on paved surfaces, let alone a grass field. I replaced these on my DG400 with custom-made rollerblade wheels. I used angle iron and drilled the hole for the wheel at an angle that matched the angle of the wing when the tip was on the ground so the wheel was normal to the surface. I didn't bother to fair the wheel, but it would be possible to make a fairing (the shape of the rollerblade wheel is, in itself, a crude fairing). I used this for many years and it worked perfectly including some airports with some very big cracks.

However, if you are going to tow the glider over rough grass fields I recommend getting a wing wheel. Otherwise, you risk having the small wingtip wheel drop into a gopher hole and catch, at which point the tail boom can have a great deal of torque applied to it.

Tom