Old July 15th 03, 08:04 PM
Big John

Wolfe

Six lashes with a wet noodle (

Thought I read someplace that one of the next new carriers would be
'Carter' but must have dozed and blinked when I was reading GShows
how exciting the reading was.

A sub would be more appropriate since he was in that service. Being
President, no matter how smart or dumb you were, probably warrants
something to commensurate you?

Thanks for getting me back on the track. My train sometimes takes the
wrong turn at a 'Y with the speed I'm running'. Need to slow down
below Mach One I guess G

Big John

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:47:18 GMT, "Wolfie" wrote:

"Big John" wrote

The "Jimmy Carter" is under construction and will probably replace the
one that is oldest now.

The next carrier (the 10th Nimitz class) will be the
"USS George H. W. Bush."

The "USS Jimmy Carter" will be a Seawolf class
submarine.

As an aside, what did Jimmy ever do to warrant naming
a carrier after him (

He graduated (with distinction) from the US Naval Academy,
for one. Served seven years in the Navy for another, including
being selected by Rickover for the nuclear navy. He resigned
to take over the family business when his father died or he'd
probably never have went into politics.

All in all, I'd say he's *far* more appropriate a choice than
Reagan. And arguably a better choice than Bush. But he
gets a sub named after him, which seems to be appropriate
since he's the only submariner to serve as President.

As an another aside, ships also have sponsors, as Nancy
Reagan is for the USS Ronald Reagan and Rosalind
Carter is for the USS Jimmy Carter. For the USS George
HW Bush? Doro B. Koch, Bush's daughter. What's up
with that? Koch is the Bush's sponsor?