Old December 8th 03, 02:40 AM
Bob McKellar

Gordon wrote:

For security reasons, Air Force One filed a flight plan identifying
itself as a a Gulfstream 5, a much smaller airplane.

Not only is this illegal - period - it is also unsafe to that aircraft and
others sharing the sky. If a developing situation required the air controller
to order the "Gulfstream 5" to make radical flight manuevers to avoid someone
else, the controller would be wrongly assuming that the a/c could react as a
small, agile GS 5 and not a frickin Jumbo Jet. And what about separation
considerations, wingtip vortexes, jet wash, and a host of other reasons why
claiming to be a different aircraft is just plain ignorant? When you are in a
light a/c and a "heavy" is in nearby, the controller warns you of the
potential hazard. But here, the President's staff decided that such safeties
were unnecessary and could be waived, because they said so.

How many other laws does does the administration consider "Optional"?

Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
"Nothing but my forehead, sir."

Gordon, I would not get too worked up.

This is, after all, about the fourth version of the story.

Tomorrow, we may get an announcement that it is in error as well.

"What we really meant was that an unknown pilot intended to develop a procedure by
which he could identify AF1 if he ever had the opportunity."

"Bill Clinton left us with an erroneous flight plan which we had not had time to
correct."

"9/11" ( This excuses anything.)

Bob McKellar, who thought the whole story sounded contrived from the start