Old November 28th 04, 03:36 AM
Chuck

Default Wierd vibration -- Prop or engine, balance or not???

Hi guys & gals,

I purchased an older Cherokee 180 with a Lycoming O-360A4A and
Sensitech propeller. Unfortunately, I'm not sure on of the prop model
as I haven't pulled the cone yet.

Since I purchased my Cherokee, there has been a slight vibration in it
while running and flying. The first mechanic I had went for a ride
with me and immediately said the prop needed a "balance" job.

But since then, another very experienced A&P has told me that
fixed-pitch props are never "balanced". This guy told me that balance
jobs are done on constant-speed props and not fixed-pitch.

So, does anyone have experience with a balance job on a fixed-pitch
prop? Or has anyone had a vibration problem that turned out to be a
fixed-pitch prop balance problem???

I ask because it would take a week to get the equipment in and of
course, cost several hundred for the prop balance. I'd hate to spend
that money and still have the vibration problem.

Thanks for any suggestions or information you guys can offer.

Chuck
N7398W