Old July 29th 03, 01:29 AM
Big John

Dave

They had them on the T-39 which I flew a little. Seemed to work ok on
the light transport.

Only thing I can remember was running a practice GCA on arrivial at
Tyndall AFB, FL, and the air speed was right at the slots out speed.
Was summer time and some turblance and slats kept banging in and out
against stops. We just picked up 5 MPH or so and they stayed retracted
until we slowed down on glide slope and they extended. Work around
was not a problem.

Only other bird I flew with slats was the Helio Courier (U-10). Again
not a problem as we adjusted our A/S up or down to pervent 'banging'
of slats in rough air at slats out A/S.

Big John

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:15:01 GMT, Dave Hyde wrote:

Big John wrote:

Only some series of the F-86 had slats. They found in Korea a problem
with them (may have not come out together and threw aim off or
something when pulling 'G's'). They changed in the "F" model to a
solid wing without any slats.

As I always like to point out when aero-deployed slats come
up in the newsgroup, A-4's had 'em too. The Blue Angels
wired 'em retracted to prevent 'bobbles' when maneuvering
in close formation. Aggressors, IIRC, wired them up too.
SOP for most any flight was a slat ops check before maneuvering.
I've written here before about asymmetric slat departures, and know
at least on person who jumped out of an otherwise perfectly good
jet after having one stick in and cause a departure at the top
of a loop. I didn't know they got rid of them on the F-86,
that's interesting.

I'm not a big fan of them and have fought to keep them out of
designs where I've had input. I still can't see a reason for
not having an interconnect that outweighs safety of flight.

Dave 'thunk *crack*' Hyde