Old January 7th 05, 12:30 AM
Mark Zivley

Sure would be nice if the SSA could lobby the FAA to eliminate the
requirement for program letters for gliders that are factory built, if
not all experimental gliders.

Enlighten me please, what's the point beyond "it's just the rule,
dumb..." or "it's always been this way" or etc.

Seems like it would save the FAA some $$ in not having to deal with the
letters coming in and we'd not have to submit them. Why do they care
where we might go fly? Besides all that, there is no enforcement for
all practical purposes.

Mark

Noel Luneau wrote:
I have an ASW-17 and the aircraft is registered under
an experimental certificate and has special operating
limitations.
They read, in part, 'All flights shall be conducted
within the geographic area described as follows: Within
300 mile radius of a sanctioned glider meet or contest.
Profficiency flights may be conducted in the vicinity
of fly-ins or airshows.'

Is this common for Experimental Certificates for our
sailplanes?

Thanks,

Noel