Old November 18th 03, 08:17 PM
Maule Driver

"No Such User" wrote in message
I wonder if I have what it takes to get an instrument rating. I can fly
just fine when the air is smooth, but if there's any turbulence I can
last at most two minutes before I have to choose between taking off the
hood or losing my lunch. The general consensus seems to be that this
will go away eventually, but I haven't seen any sign of it.

So to all those pilots out there, how many of you gave up on an IR because
of motion sickness? How many of you started out getting queasy but
eventually got over it?

Also, in case you're tempted to offer your home remedy, I've already
tried the usual tricks, e.g., ginger, light eating, no eating, high-carb
eating, the electric wrist-strap gizmo. Nothing helps.

I've had some long term problems with motion sickness. Only occassionally
under the hood in hot and bumby conditions. Never in actual.

Dramamine works but dull headedness may be a problem. Scopalomine patches
worked real well for me with no apparent side effects. I hear they may be
back on the market (?). If I was glider flying again I would scour the
world and find a lifetime supply. None of the rest of the stuff ever helped
me.

I definitely developed some psychological problems associated with motion
sickness. Certain kinds of weather would upset my stomach before I took
off. Having an effective treatment (Scopalomine) seemed to let me get past
the anticipation of air sickness. Hope that hasn't happened to you.
Perhaps try a different hood, different head position or try to get some
actual just to show that it might be easier than the hood. Confidence helps
but if you were like me, a bag is best.